PERSONAL AWARENESS AND ASSERTIVENESS COURSE
- To provide a comfortable, safe environment where participants can learn to be more aware of how they interact with themselves and others.
- Learning communication, listening, and assertiveness skills.
- Handling difficult situations.
- Learning to relax using basic meditation techniques
- Have some fun!
- Self-Talk: am I positive or negative?
- Communicating well: “I feel” statement, listening skills
- My own uniqueness: “I am the best person to be me, not what other people think I should be"
- Assertiveness skills: understanding my rights as a human being, how to get my needs met, while respecting others point of view
- Family: introduction to understanding the dynamics of family life
- Conflict: handling differences of opinion in a respectful way
Each week the facilitators give information and then lead a discussion on the topic. The participants are encouraged to practice the information in real situations that are safe and easier to start with e.g. being assertive with a shop assistant.
This course is not a therapy group and participants are asked not to reveal very personal material. Anyone needing further help is referred to ACCORD counselling service or other appropriate agencies.
For further information please contact our Drogheda Centre.