Coronavirus (COVID19) Update

Read More

Marriage Preparation

Where do we complete the Prenuptial Enquiry Form?

The Prenuptial Enquiry form is completed by the priest and signed by the bride-to-be and the groom-to-be.   It is the local priest in the parish where you are currently living, or where you have lived for six months or more prior to your wedding who must complete this form. Make the appointment well in advance (no more than six months) bring along the various support documents, including a new certificate of baptism for each party.

Close Answer
How close to the wedding should we book a marriage preparation course?

It is best to book a course six to eight months before the date of the wedding in order to get the maximum benefit and learning from attending the course and have sufficient time to process the information.

Close Answer
Do we need to bring any documents when attending the marriage preparation course?

It is not necessary to bring any documentation to the Marriage Preparation Course. All course materials will be supplied.

Close Answer
Can I attend a one day course or do my marriage preparation using a DVD?

ACCORD do not provide one day Marriage Preparation Courses or courses on DVD.

Close Answer
I was wondering do we have to have the state notified before we complete the marriage preparation course?

No it is not necessary to have notified the State prior to attending a Marriage Preparation Course. In the south of Ireland you must give the State 3 months notice this must be given to the General Registrar’s Office. For details see (link) In Northern Ireland you must give a minimum of 14 days notice to the Registrar in the district in which you are getting married. Notice forms must be completed by both the bride and the groom accompanied by full birth certificates. For details see (link)

Close Answer
I am a catholic but my fiancé is not. Will the ACCORD marriage preparation course be ok?

It is best to chat with the priest who is helping you with your paperwork and planning and get his advice regarding what type of marriage preparation he feels you might undertake. Some couples make the decision to attend the standard (nine hours) Accord marriage preparation course but if you are a couple from different faith backgrounds there are particular benefits from attending the Interchurch course. This course is specifically designed to explore the particular rewards of being an interchurch couple and will also look at strategies for dealing with any challenges they may encounter.  Couples from different denomination or religious affiliation can have significant religious differences, the course will provide the opportunity to discuss this privately as a couple and will also explore how religious differences can facilitate growth.

For information on/to book these courses please contact Embrace, Holy Cross Diocesan Centre, Clonliffe Road, Dublin 3 - Phone Number 4784400 or Email

The courses in Northern Ireland are run on a Tuesday from 7.00pm to 10.00pm and Sunday from 10.00am to 5.00pm.   For information on/to book these courses please contact ACCORD NI Regional Office - Phone Number 028 90233002 or Email 


Close Answer
Do I have to do the marriage preparation course in the diocese where my wedding is taking place?

No you can book on line and attend a Marriage Preparation Course in any of our 55 Centres throughout the country.

Close Answer
We are living abroad and plan to get married in Ireland. Can we do our marriage preparation course here and will it be accepted?

It is best to check with your priest if the course you have in mind is acceptable to him as he is responsible for your preparation.

Close Answer
Is a marriage course compulsory in order to get married here in Ireland?

The priest responsible for the wedding has an obligation under church law to ensure that each couple are adequately prepared for their wedding and married life. He can therefore elect to give the marriage preparation guidance to the couple himself but generally speaking the priest will give the couple information regarding formal courses which are run by people like ourselves in ACCORD It is therefore best to check with your priest in the first instance as to the type of preparation he feels you could undertake.

Close Answer
Where can I find more information on what is required by the Church and the State before our wedding?

The ACCORD publication "Planning your Wedding Day" will provide you will all the necessary information.

Close Answer